City of Lake City
P.O. Box 1329
202 Kelly Street
Lake City, South Carolina 29560
Phone: (843) 374-5421
Fax: (843) 374-1704
Florence County is governed by a nine-member county council.
Lake City has a:
The councilmen serve four year terms.
- City Administrator - Two year term of office
- Mayor - The Mayor is elected for a four year term.
- Council - Six Councilmen are elected to a four year staggered term of office.
- Sales and Use Tax - South Carolina sales and use tax is 5%. In certain counties, an additional local option sales and use tax of 1% is imposed to support public education. A maximum sales tax of $300 is imposed on the purchase of cars, boats, motorcycles, airplanes, and leased vehicles.
- Property Tax - Counties, cities and school districts are authorized to impose ad valorem taxes on real and personal property to support public education and the services of local government. Millage rates vary throughout the state, but the average annual tax on a $100,000 home is $996.80. The state collects an annual personal property tax on cars, recreational vehicles, boats and airplanes. The average tax on a $10,000 car is $252.00.
- Intangible Tax - There is no tax on intangibles. Federal rules governing capital gains also apply in South Carolina, including the one-time gain of $250,000 and for married persons $500,000, depending upon certain requirements.
- For More Information - Further information is available from the South Carolina Department of Revenue in Columbia, (803) 737-5000, or from the county tax offices.